The curing nature of Shilajit has been recognized by Ayurveda for more than 3000 years; even before the field was clearly defined. The substance is recommended by Ayurvedic physicians for all types of conditions from skin problems to aging problems.
What is Shilajit?
Shilajit is a mineral deposit that is made up of humus and decomposed plant remains. When these components get pressed between layers of rocks for millions of years, they are converted into a gummy substance that may be black, white or brown in colour, and resembles asphalt in appearance. When there is a crack in the rock, the material oozes out of it, and settles itself on the rocks. These are found in high altitude mountains. In Ayurveda, it is regarded as the strongest age fighting and rejuvenating component of the earth. In English, it is better known as the mineral pitch. The name itself is a Sanskrit term that means “invincible rock”. This is because it is believed that it has the ability to any problem or ailment. The humic composition gives it the healing and health properties for which is known as the conqueror of mountains and destroyer of weakness.
Although the existence of it was known for thousands of years, it was rediscovered by the native dwellers of Himalayan ranges. Mentions of the substance in the Vedic text, and records of certain ancient scientists shows that it was used back then. This element was rediscovered for its health properties by the people living in the Himalayan Mountains. These people observed the white monkeys; who migrated to the area during the summer. The animals were strong, healthy, energetic and had a long life span. The monkeys were always seen chewing a black gummy substance. The villagers followed the monkeys to the side regions of the mountains, and saw them peel off the substance from the surface of the rocks. They brought it back with them, and started ingesting it. They instantly recognized its benefits.
Research and analysis shows that Shilajit contains triterpenes, fulvic acid and humic acids. Other than that it is a rich source of minerals; which are preserved in their ionic form. That is why when it is consumed it becomes readily active, and starts its work.
Type of Shilajit
Although there are no distinct classifications, there mineral also varies according to the region from where it is cultivated. It is commonly found in the Himalayans, Caucasus and Australian mountains. The best and most beneficial type is scraped from the mountains of Nepal. This has high anti-oxidant content and bio-regenerative properties.
Benefit of Shilajit
According to Ayurvedic texts, this is effective for any problem, but the prominent advantages include:
- Anti-aging: the high energy and bio-generative properties promote cell regeneration, and proper maintenance of old cells.
- Rejuvenation properties: the regenerative properties are effective for problems like tissue degeneration.
- Energy synthesis: this promotes metabolism of proteins and vitamins; which results in high energy release.
- Blood purifications: it enhances the immune system and the circulation system.
- Increase in sexual potency: it strengthens the male reproductive systems, increases libido and helps avoid impotency and premature ejaculation.
- Prevents and cures diabetes: it maintains the blood sugar level.
- Solves bone related problems: it strengthens the bones, and solves problems like arthritis, joint pains etc.
- Spiritual enlightenment: the burst of energy opens all the blocked chakra points.
How to use it
The mineral is used in different forms and ways. These include:
- Tonic- this is best suited for people in search of relief from arthritis and bone problems. This is made by dissolving less than a gram of it in hot water or milk. This should be consumed twice in a day.
- Capsules- different types of capsules are available. A positive aspect of these is that they are processed in a way to maximize its nutritional content. The daily requirement ranges between 300 to 500 mg; but you should increase the dose slowly to avoid any side-effects.
- Powder- the dosage is same, as in case of capsules. The powder can be taken as it is, or with juice or water.
Here are discounted Shilajit supplements from “Ayurvedic Herbs Direct”.
The benefits of shilajit in the Ayurveda are renowned and should be taken advantage of!